Thursday, January 24, 2008

 

Miss Priss Does Macroeconomics

I learned lots of new important things today and lots of big important words. Your favorite blond at heart born as a brunette is going to share.

The subject of the day is the Economic Stimulus Plan. Basically, we're all going to get $600 dollars from the government in their attempt to stimulate the economy. Couples who file jointly will receive $1200 ($600 a piece) and if you've spawned offspring lately, good news for you! You'll get an additional $300 per kid. President Bush is saying that the package will "boost our economy and encourage job creation." Well, I sure as hell am not going to create a new company with my bonus $1200 check, but in two shakes of a lambs tail I sure will stimulate the economy by purchasing a new bed! How's that for patriotism.

Uh oh, this just in - I read in between the lines. Balls. There is always a catch. You will only be eligible for these checks if you earned jointly $150,000 last year or $75,000 individually. So wait a minute. We are awarding the upper middle class with basically a welfare check? What? Oh man, I've been thinking about this all day and now I realize I'm being screwed. Alan and I did not file jointly last year and even if we would have, we wouldn't have earned $150,000. Puh-leez.

I'm so disappointed, but not surprised.

Why is the government doing this? Because my friends, we are heading towards a recession. Some analysts already define us as in a recession. I'll take a moment and define recession as well as I know how to explain it. It's negative economic growth for two or more quarters a year. Meaning that us Americans are not buying enough product. Therefore, demand goes down. When demand goes down, your supply goes in the shitter. When your supplies go down people get laid off because there is no demand to create the supply. Now I must stress here that it's a perfectly normal, predictable cycle. It happens, it's not the end of the world. However, the way the government handles the next year is crucial as to how bad it could get.

How's that for Macroeconomics in a nutshell?

Comments:
OH man, what a load of crock! Like people who earn that kind of money will really be impressed with another $600 (or $1200) anyway! That's like pocket change to folks raking in that kind of money. They should be giving it to people who make UNDER something like $40,000 who could really use a break, or likely a good dinner or food at all, for that matter! Maybe if we can get Barak in charge of a few things, some of us "little folks" will be catching windfalls like that in the future!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]